Age old question: Lake or Ocean/Beach for vacation? The movie “Cocktail”, Kenny Chesney, and Jimmy Buffett do lend quite a bit of credibility to the beach vibe, but thank you very much, I’ll take the lake ANY day! We recently spent a week on Lake LBJ in Kingsland, TX. I grew up in Central Texas where generally all you hear about is Lake Travis, Lake Austin, and Lady Bird Lake (aka Town Lake). But, I gotta say, this gem was just perfect! Not only is the lake MUCH larger than I anticipated, it had everything we needed and wanted. There are restaurants, bait shops, gas stations, grocery stores, etc all within ear shot of our rental. We had a boat slip, a pool, and tons of fish! My youngest even caught a huge Gaspergoo!
The added bonuses of a lake vacation:
- No salt in the eyes, mouth, ears, nose, throat.
- No sand in the…well, you know where that stuff goes…and where it lingers!
- No traipsing across dunes and roads with all your junk just to get to the beach.
- No ridiculous traffic to get on/off one of Texas’ barrier islands.
- A one hour drive to/from the Lake.
All in all, Lake LBJ is perfect for my speed and my tastes. It’s gorgeous, convenient, and provides all the amenities you need for a week on the lake with kiddos. Go find a property you want, search on the map here: FUNK.COM. If you can’t find it, I will 🙂 Maybe I’ll see you out there because I’ll definitely go back next year…